Q&A Forums

Bathroom air exchanger Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Feb 16, 2009 09:42 PM
Bathroom air exchanger
I have heard of small air exchangers that can be used in bathrooms. They are the size of a standard bathroom exhaust fan, but they bring in some fresh air from outside. I haven't had any luck finding one online. Has anyone heard of these?

George
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 09:10 AM
There's the Bionaire BAP336M-U. Haven't tried one personally.

og
eric himmer
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 01:09 PM
George,
Look at the Panasonic FV-04VE1 WhisperComfort Spot ERV Ceiling Insert. Renewaire might also be coming out with one soon.
Frank Bood
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 05:31 PM
The panasonic unit works like a champ for its size.
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Feb 17, 2009 06:53 PM
Impaidbyu,

Where are you located? I am in NH and the manual states that because of our cold, it will only work optimally between April-Nov.

George
Frank Bood
Posted: Feb 19, 2009 05:52 PM
I am located in north eastern CT not the cold north like yall but not far off. The weather can be an issue when it comes to the heat exchange but as far as fresh air i have 2 in my home (2800sq) and have no problems.

I dont think i would use them on a much larger home due to the cfm out put unless you had the space for more units then your faced with the cost of a larger single unit.
Frank Bood
Posted: Feb 21, 2009 11:23 AM
George,

I revisited some math i did before installing these in my house. Heres what i came up with.

Running 2 units at 100% (40cfm) which in the real world is about 80% (32cfm) i cam up with 46080cf
per 12 hours or about 1 times my homes interior volume every 8 hours or 4 times a day. I also allowed another rate of exchange for small leaks (windows,doors,bath vents) of 10-12000 cf per day.

I would assume if you have a larger home and used more units you could over come any size home.

As for the heat loss it was 16*F here last night and we keep out home at 68*F i shot my ir thermo at the fresh air vent and seen a 63*F temp reading. I have no idea if this is a true way to accurately measure the heat loss. But i think its a good indication that were not going broke reheating the interior air do to the fresh air unit.

Also i would not recommed installing these in bathrooms as some people do they tend to do there best in the hall ways of your living space. For obviouse reasons not in the kitchen either.

I hope this info helps.

Any more insite anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
Frank Bood
Posted: Feb 21, 2009 11:23 AM
George,

I revisited some math i did before installing these in my house. Heres what i came up with.

Running 2 units at 100% (40cfm) which in the real world is about 80% (32cfm) i cam up with 46080cf
per 12 hours or about 1 times my homes interior volume every 8 hours or 4 times a day. I also allowed another rate of exchange for small leaks (windows,doors,bath vents) of 15-22000 cf per day.

I would assume if you have a larger home and used more units you could over come any size home.

As for the heat loss it was 16*F here last night and we keep out home at 68*F i shot my ir thermo at the fresh air vent and seen a 63*F temp reading. I have no idea if this is a true way to accurately measure the heat loss. But i think its a good indication that were not going broke reheating the interior air do to the fresh air unit.

I need to add as well that if one was to write a guide like these they would have to take into concideration homes that have fiberglass insulation. I think with foam you wont see the 20*F temp at the fan with a long run like i have 22 feet to the out side wall. My attic is 10" of oc and never seems to get cold. I would think the pipe in the attic would act as a heat exchanger till it went out side. Warm pipe running past cold pipe.(Im anal and use pvc for all my vents to prevent dust clog and easy cleaning in the future)I also foamed 15 or so feet of the pipe from the wall in. Dang foam its everywhere LOL.

Also i would not recommed installing these in bathrooms as some people do and the directions say to.
They tend to do there best in the hall ways of your living space. For obviouse reasons not in the kitchen either.

I hope this info helps.

Any more insite anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.