Q&A Forums

bang bang.. Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Jun 15, 2006 07:20 AM
bang bang..
got a call from another builder who had a new applicator apply a 2-3" pass in a 2x6 wall of open cell foam "cause thats what my applicator cerification told me thats all i had to do" (read company with good foam, starts with D )...
man was he pissed...he did the r value math,,wanted me to fix it up as the "new guy will never spray for him again"..and i doubt he will use foam again!
another lousy application,, another pissed off contractor...another area foam will have to WORK HARD to get a chance again..."at least the cellulose is full cavity and uniform" i think he said...
think about it people,,,you are not only damageing your own credibility and ability, but mine and the foam industry as well....
HALF POUND FOAM= FULL CAVITY TO GET AN R-19, and energy star rateing...yes the air seal makes a difference,,,a huge difference in performance,,but until the INDUSTRY gets universal recognition of this "performance advantage" we have to apply to design r values...
3" of a poorly applied fan pattern of open cell foam just aint enough,,,dont claim 40% less energy use with this type of application...could be 40% less if you compare an r19 to an r19 of materials,,,but not r13 to r19....this is a wash in performance (13 is about 40% less of 19)...no savings here...
damn man,,,im tired of dodgeing the bullets being shot at my feet.....
Melvin Chandler
Posted: Jun 17, 2006 08:55 PM
What are you spraying? Are you saying that the new guy should have been spraying full cavity soft foam even if 2x6? Or are you saying that new guy didn't even spray the minimum? I thought that the D brand had an ICC? report stating that walls at 3.5 min and ceiling/roof @ 5.5".
Posted: Jun 18, 2006 12:10 AM
???"What are you spraying?"
I spray open and closed cell foams....i spray product from a variety of manufacturers...

???? Are you saying that the new guy should have been spraying full cavity soft foam even if 2x6?
5.5" x 3.8R=R20.9 5"x 3.8R=R19 4" x 3.8R= R15.2

???? Or are you saying that new guy didn't even spray the minimum?
see above
??? I thought that the D brand had an ICC? report stating that walls at 3.5 min and ceiling/roof @ 5.5".
icc report for 3.5" in walls and 5.5" in ceiling is for crawl space and attic installs (section 4.3.1 & 4.3.2 ESR1172 re-issue 10-1-2005)
(also says cover it with a thermal barrier in all buildings...read: shop sidewalls...whole nuther rant and rave me thinks)

realize, i would like nothing better than to be able to apply 3.5-4" in 2x6 cavities...waste and labor saveings would be huge...but it is not an energy star rated wall at 4"...until we get universal recognition of the thermal performance of foam (yes, i do believe it is superior) and have code approval of a less than R19 in 2x6 as being OK,,than i choose to shoot R value..this is what the builders and energy companys (read rebate people) and their/our customers want... that is why i got the call from the builder in the first place,,not enough foam,,and not adequately applied foam (not completely side to side within the stud cavity...sheeting visible at stud to sheeting interface...)

newby,,thanx for the post,,
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Jun 18, 2006 07:16 AM
That stinks foamdude. It is just like every other part of the construction business, there are hacks everywhere just looking for a quick buck. Personally, I would take 2-3" of 1/2 pound foam over 5.5" of fiberglass anyday, but you are right until "the man" (code) says otherwise, we need to get the required R-value.
Happy fathers day to all you hardworking dads out there!

George
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jun 19, 2006 07:01 PM
Amen.

gcw

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.