Q&A Forums

Bad Closed-Cell Spray Foam Installation? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Ian Needham
Posted: Oct 23, 2017 01:22 AM
Bad Closed-Cell Spray Foam Installation?
I have a good one. I hired a contractor to install closed-cell spray foam in my attic. 10 days later is still smells horrible, like the rotten fish odor other people complain about, but more recently the spray foam started showing some deformed characteristics. I am more than happy to send pictures in. It looks like something organic is growing out of the foam creating smooth shaped bubbles like something out of a sci-fi movie. What's your recommendation please? My family has been out off the house and we are desperate to get our lives back.
mason
Posted: Oct 23, 2017 01:44 PM
I am called into spray foam odor issues about once or twice a month.

For most folks, the smell is obnoxious but does not cause any health symptoms. Some folks that are sensitive to odors may experience a physical reaction (such as cold like symptoms, coughing, sneezing, itchy eyes, sore throat, etc.)

First step is to specifically identify the odor and where it is coming from. Have someone cut a sample of the foam from the top to the bottom. The foam will have a strong odor when cut if that is the source of the odor.

It should be mentioned that the installation of SPF could increase significantly the air-tightness of the house. Consequently VOCs and odors emanating from other sources within the house can increase as a result. An onsite investigation would provide the answers.

However, the description you gave does indicate a spray foam issue and consequent odor. In most cases, removing the foam that is emitting the odor eliminates the problem.

Have you contacted the spray foam contractor? What is his recommendation for remediation?

I will be happy to discuss the problem with you, and help provide direction on a path forward;
571-239-5221.

Also, I can send you some articles and presentations that I've written on the subject
masonknowles@aol.com
Ian Needham
Posted: Nov 07, 2017 07:21 PM
Mason,

Thanks for the quick reply. I've been working with the installation contractor and they have been doing all the right things. They removed all the closed-cell spray foam from my attic, well like 99% of it. It took them 9 days. I opened the windows in my house for 48 hours to let the air vent out and then I shut the windows and put on the heating since it's getting cold where I am. I went back into house a day later and the odor was still lingering there, not as bad as before, but still significantly present. Other people smell is too. Do the fumes seep into my walls, carpet, furniture, clothes, etc? I've reached a point where I don't know what to do. I feel my house is never going to be the same and is basically unlivable. What should I do to remove the fishy smell now that the spray foam has been removed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm getting an air quality test tomorrow, we've going to get the ducts cleaned and we are getting a professional cleaning company to clean the entire house. We've been displaced for about a month.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.