Q&A Forums

Attic SPF how thick and what areas??? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 01:14 PM
Attic SPF how thick and what areas???
Thinking about getting my attic insulated with closed cell SPF. I live in New Jersey. Gets hot and humid in summer and gets pretty cold in winter. My questions are how thick should the SPF be and should I get the attic ceiling (plywood) sprayed or the attic floor sprayed or both. There is glass insulation on the attic floor and I'm will get rid of it in order to spray there.

Thank you!!
Jeffrey Souder
Posted: Aug 25, 2007 06:43 PM
Brian,
Good choice on using SPF, and I assume since you are on this website, you have done your research. Most installers would rather spray onto the plywood under the roof to prevent the heat build up in the attic over the summer months.
As far as how thick would depend on how much room there is to spray in the cavity, and how much insulation you would like in there. I would consider filling the cavity with 4" of SPF if possible. That would give you an R value of approx. R-28 and I would leave the fiberglass in place for a little more insulation.
Feel free to give me a call if you would like to talk about it, since I am in eastern PA.

Jeff Souder
Berks Spray Foam Insulation
610-916-6866

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.