Q&A Forums

Applying spray foam to rim joist area and uniformity Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Robert Long
Posted: Apr 24, 2012 12:19 PM
Applying spray foam to rim joist area and uniformity
Hello-
What should my expectation be for 2 inch of closed cell foam? Should I have a 2 inch or more coverage or can I expect less (barely covered) to overkill?
I understand uniformity is not likely but wanted to check with the pros on what exactly 2 inches means in this context. Thank you.
Bryan Kwater
Posted: Apr 24, 2012 12:51 PM
We always quote based on minimum thickness. So when we say 2" thick, that is usually the minimum. Not all contractors do this. Some say that they spray an average thickness. It is important to know beforehand how your contractor quotes jobs. It is not usually a big deal if there is some variation. On 2" thick, I personally would not want anyplace to be less than 1 1/2" thick. Foam is expensive so it's in the contractors best interest to learn to spray flat and the correct thickness.
SPFer
Posted: Apr 25, 2012 08:03 PM
Sometimes rim joists can be tough to spray, especially with closed cell. The gun and hose isn't very flexible, and if the area is tight it is hard to fill without using a ton of foam. That is why I prefer to use open cell in some tight rim joists.
Anthony Scarpelli
Posted: Oct 15, 2012 08:02 PM
Particularly with closed cell foam, We would usually quote an average depth price. We would have to quote at least a 1/2" more than you request to give you a minimum number or we would have to charge a higher per foot price to cover our overages.

We could give you better performance with 4-5" of open cell and charge the same or a bit less cost to you. Unless you require the vapor barrier properties there, I'd go with open cell as it is just as effective at 4" as 2" of closed cell.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.