Q&A Forums

Appendix X where is it? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Circle-D
Posted: Mar 23, 2011 01:21 PM
Appendix X where is it?
2603.4.1.6 Attics and crawl spaces. Within an attic or crawl space where entry is made only for service of utilities, foam plastic insulation shall be protected against ignition by 11/2-inch-thick (38 mm) mineral fiber insulation; 1/4-inch-thick (6.4 mm) wood structural panel, particleboard or hardboard; 3/8-inch (9.5 mm) gypsum wallboard, corrosion-resistant steel having a base metal thickness of 0.016 inch (0.4 mm) or other approved material installed in such a manner that the foam plastic insulation is not exposed. The protective covering shall be consistent with the requirements for the type of construction.
jimcoler

I have over 10 years of experience specifying and installing open and closed cell spray foam. I've sold my business but I'm still selling for the new owners and consulting on large and custom specific jobs. 

I've expanded my knowledge into t

Posted: Mar 23, 2011 02:04 PM
This is regarding the ICC-ES AC 377 Appendix X which is techincally not code but is being accepted as code approved because it uses the ICC-ES as the front. Stil trying to get an answer from someone who can answer the question on what the real role of the ICC-ES is if it can't write code or make code changes. Because the Appendix X testing method does not meet the code based on "Actual end use configuration".
The modified NFPA 286 test is a ful room burn test and not an attic or crawlspace test. It's 8' high with a flat ceiling and one end wide open for air exchange. Now, that isn't very realistic!

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.