Q&A Forums

Alpha Programs Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Posted: Oct 27, 2009 04:43 PM
Alpha Programs
Hi Mason,

Phoenix Coatings advertises that they are an "Alpha Contractor" and have had their SPF roofing projects reviewed by the Performance Based Studies Research Group (pbsrg.com) at Arizona State University.

Do you have any comments on these third party reviewers? Is PBSRG recognized by SPFA? Are there other groups that do similar roof performance audits? I would love to improve our quality and have a third party verify the leak-free nature of our SPF roofs.

Thanks,
Brian
mason
Posted: Oct 27, 2009 07:35 PM
The Alpha program was developed by Dean Kashiwagi who is a teaching professor at the Del E Webb School of Engineering at the Arizona State University in Phoenix.

The Alpha program consists of a roofing contractor providing a list of their projects to Dean for them to do a survey of the projects in order to determine if they have a specific quality of applications (based on a written criteria). The way it works, you ask the Alpha program to survey your work. They come to your facility and get 50 jobs at random and call the contacts (owners or owners representatives). They ask questions like. how old is the roof? Is it leaking? Has it ever leaked? If it leaked did they fix it? Are you satisfied with the roof? Has any maintenance been done on the roof? and about 40 other questions.

Depending on the answers you might be listed on the Alpha approved list of contractors. While many of the Alpha contractors are sprayfoam guys it is not limited to sprayfoam contractors.
This program is not endorsed by the SPFA but they are aware of the program(SPFA does not specifically endorse other programs besides their own accreditation program).

Most suppliers that make SPF roofing foams and coatings have an approved applicator program. Some programs are more prestigious than others

I also can do an onsite evaluation of SPF contractors (both roofing and building envelope) that may have some value. Call me if you have an interest. 571-239-5221
Posted: Oct 27, 2009 11:27 PM
Thanks for the insight Mason and providing your contact info. I would love to chat with you about spray foam roofing best practices.

Thanks,

Brian

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.