Q&A Forums

Air Dryers Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Ryan Rhoads
Posted: Jun 30, 2006 11:04 PM
Air Dryers
How dry does air actualy have to be? I do not have a refridgerated dryer on my system and contrary to many people out there I am getting by on a 13.6 CFM system. This was just upgraded from a 6 or 9 cfm system. I have diaphram pumps and an air purge gun. My dryer system consist of just plan air dryers like you would find on the brake system of a truck, more or less a setlement bowl looking thing. I haven't had anything better so I don't understand the benefits of all of these added improvements. I would appreciate all advice.
Dave Strnad
Posted: Jul 01, 2006 06:50 PM
I will just share what I have been told because I am cheap and using a binks 43p solvent purge which I bought for $5 untill I can buy a gap, but seems to make sense to me. Because the material reacts with water if you use an air purge gun the droplets will cause hell with the air purge guns. Crossover, sticking, etc, etc. Seems to get worse with the age of the gun for some reason, this is why a lot of guys jump from P2, to Gap, fusion, etc. The air needs to be dry enough so no droplets form, this varies on temp and humidity. I would like to suggest www.napinfo.com I would call then though e-mail is sometimes slow. They have been great to deal with and haven't acted like I'm an idot for building my own setup. They are very experinced in equipment and material. They could explain the air dryer thing in detail. If you have air dryers from a truck they are desiccant filters which work well but you have to replace the media which is expensive or have some sort of recharging system. With air purge if you find that your doing more than the manfacture tells you to maintain, it is probally a moisture problem.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Jul 04, 2006 04:47 PM
I like the Hankison HIT series 5 in 1 air dryer. Bought it at Grainger. Never had so much as a drop of unwanted water in 3-years use. We have a 20-cfm model.

Cost about $1120. Well worth it. Water in air will be your second worst enemy in the foam business.
Darren Gomez
Posted: Aug 28, 2007 05:43 PM
Eaton Compressor also has a few models...cheaper than Hankison. www.eatoncompressor.com
Kelly Nunberg
Posted: Aug 29, 2007 11:08 AM
Graco has a Membraine air dryer that works really well. We have sold alot of them and all of the water problems that the guys were having went away after installing the dryer. It lists for about $890. The only thing to change on it is 2 prefilters about every 6 months to a year.
Tim O'Keefe
Posted: Aug 30, 2007 12:32 AM
That Graco Membrane system looks like a nice space saving design. However in the document http://wwwd.graco.com/Distributors/DLibrary.nsf/Files/320554A/$file/320554A.pdf
they still show a refrigerated dryer in the system loop. So do you need one or not?

Tim
Granite State Spray Foam Co.
Kelly Nunberg
Posted: Aug 30, 2007 03:31 PM
We have been using the Membrane dryer only and have had great luck with them.
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Aug 30, 2007 04:13 PM
Interesting..
Posted: Aug 30, 2007 07:57 PM
i use the eaton 52cfm on my v4 10hp eaton compressors,,,my mechanical room is HOT...my processing room is ambient unless heated in winter...
comp...reciever tank(with auto drain)...to coalescing filer(maintaining 1" piping to maintain air flow)....to air dryer...to piping system throughout the trailer...
we still see condensation down line...particularly in the dog days of summer...aint the heat a gas??
specially if we are strokin the xfer pumps hard...
i like dry air...so do my air motors,,,so does my air purge gun...
Posted: Sep 08, 2007 01:26 AM
I like the automatic regeneration desiccant dryers. Might be a little more expensive, but can obtain -40 deg dew points. Now that is dry air. Refrigerated dryers seem to fail within 2 years due to lack of the owner properly maintaining the equipment. Condenser plugs up, drains become restricted, compressors overheat and fail. We all know many are guilty of the lack of maintaining equipment. Blow and go is the motto. I am guilty of being tired and not doing what I know I should do. Just FYI. Regenerative desiccant air dryers need maybe a pre filter every two years unless oil hits the desiccant. Then the desiccant needs to be replaced. This is cheap and easy. Always buy after market filters. Most filters are manufactured by the same company. Keltech should have every filter and such in stock. There is one in Twinsburg or Solon OH. I am not sure about the city.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.