Q&A Forums

Air Dryer for Guardian A5 ? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
eric himmer
Posted: May 21, 2008 09:26 PM
Air Dryer for Guardian A5 ?
Wondering if anyone using an air driven proportioner like the Guardian has found it necessary or beneficial to install an air dryer unit inline from the compressor to increase performance of the air motor. Our air motor seems to get slow at times and labors to pump. In the winter it sometimes gets frost at the back filter of the machine. Will a $100-200 filter do the job or is a refrigerated dryer ($600-1000) the best bet. Any input would help. Thanks.
Circle-D
Posted: May 21, 2008 09:38 PM
I have a refridgerated air dry in front of my Guardian and have had no problems. I purchased mine from Eaton when I bought my compressor.
Kevin Morse
Posted: May 22, 2008 04:05 PM
a line filter is not the way to go.
I do not recommend a "cheap dryer" either.
these are usually only good for a 100 degree inlet temp and compressors discharges air at 100 degrees above ambient unless you have an aftercooler. Buy a high quality dryer designed for extreme conditions and you will only buy it once.
Graco sells a 225 degree inlet air dryer that they have used in the mobile rigs for over 5 years.
Contact your local Graco distributor or Graco sales rep for details
Linerman
Posted: May 22, 2008 06:44 PM
You shouldn't even be operating without an air dryer! You're running the risk of moisture in the lines and getting in the air motor doing some possible damage, not to mention getting mixed with your product. You're just setting yourself up for disaster.
Gordon Howard
Posted: May 23, 2008 03:32 AM
use a membrane air filter, in-line. Returns the moisture into the air, no dessicant to change. About $480. Parker makes some.

I think they are called cactus filters also.

You need one pre-filter water trap, auto-drains.
eric himmer
Posted: May 27, 2008 08:10 PM
Thanks for your responses. We do have an aftercooler, but it still sounds like a real refrigerated air dryer may be the best, although most expensive way to go. Please let me know if the aftercooler gives me any alternative methods.
Thanks
Kevin Morse
Posted: May 28, 2008 12:42 PM
Hi
If you have an aftercooler that will cool the air to approx 20 degrees above ambient.
So if your ambient is around 80 degrees at the highest, then you could go with a standard 100 degree inlet temp air dryer.
I have tried, dessicant dryers, membranes and cartidge filters, and they do work in certain conditions. But if you want to do it once and do it right, buy a refrigerated dryer. Just make sure you keep the condenser clean or the hermetic compressor in the dryer will eventually burn out

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.