Q&A Forums

air conditioning requirements Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
steve westlake
Posted: Apr 29, 2007 09:04 PM
air conditioning requirements
rule of thumb what is the proper ton per square foot for foam?
vs. fiberglass, cellulose.
also is there anything the builder needs to add to the air conditioning to keep it from short cycling and to make sure the house does not condensate any feedback would be appreciated
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: Apr 29, 2007 09:27 PM
I am NOT an HVAC contractor. It depends on your area of the country, but I think that you need to figure 500 sq ft per ton for fiber, and 800 sq ft per ton for foam. You need to make sure you do not oversize your unit. If you do, it will short cycle, you need to downsize so that it will run longer and take the humidity out of the air. You also need to add an air exchanger.

George
Richard Russell
Posted: Apr 30, 2007 07:53 AM
Insulating a house with foam has the potential to change both the heating and AC requirements drastically from what normal rules of thumb would say is needed. You really need to do a calc specific to the house, considering how much of it is insulated with foam and how much with other means (old vs. new), windows and their solar orientation, air infiltration, etc. As George implied, if the whole house is to be foamed, air infiltration will be drastically reduced (good for energy conservation), and mechanical ventilation will be required to maintain air quality inside.
Posted: Apr 30, 2007 03:47 PM
OOOK........here I go again. If you want to have a good (proper) load evaluation for your spray foam project, either commercial or residential, mosey over to www.energywisestructures.com . This program is the best I know of for either setting. There is NO MAGIC NUMBER of SF per ton required. Every project must be load evaluated INDIVIDUALLY! NO EXCEPTIONS unless you wish to get into trouble with performance of the system as a whole. Once again, I get no compensation for this advertisement of their services except for the occasional pat on the back. These are just good folks doing good things for the foam industry. Kenneth
www.coolservice.com and www.coolsprayllc.com

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.