Q&A Forums

Air compressor Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Arville Brown
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 05:14 PM
Air compressor
What would be the smallest air compressor I could use for my E-20 Just to run machine & drum pumps IPM 1:1 IPM 2:1
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 06:37 PM
I use a 2 hp 30 gallon capacity from Home Depot and it runs everything fine on my E-20.

I have used smaller versions with sucess, they just burn up in a couple of months if you do a lot of spraying.

My suggestion is that the 2 Hp 30 callon would be the smallest that I would go if you want to keep it for more than a few months.

Steve
SPRAYFOAM GODDESS
Posted: Jan 15, 2009 08:51 PM
Generally you get about 3 cfm for every hp. Your air purge gun takes 8 cfm max and pumps around 7 cfm for a total of 15 cfm max. This is why you will typically see a 5 hp compressor installed in rigs. If you are spraying half pound and need to mix, the air mixers take about 20 cfm putting you into a 7.5 - most of those deliver enough to run an air mixer (like the one sold by IPM), just mix while you are heating up your hoses, then switch over.
clint moore
Posted: Jan 19, 2009 03:59 PM
Most people tend to believe that it is about 15cfm for both transfer pumps & gun when in all actuality it is about half. Here's why,when your spraying the transfer pumps are using air to pump,the gun is not.
When you stop spraying the transfers stop and the clean off air kicks in for the gun. Usually a 1.5hp continuous run air compressor is enough air unless you are going to run a air mixer which you would need more cfm's,then a 5 hp or 7.5 hp compressor is needed.
Todd Baxter
Posted: Jan 26, 2009 03:24 PM
dont buy the cheapest you can find, find one that will do the job but will also last a long time. you can spend it now one time or just ever other month.
clint moore
Posted: Jan 27, 2009 03:07 PM
HERE IS ANOTHER VARIBLE TO CONSIDER,,ALTITUDE,DEPENDING ON YOUR ALTITUDE YOU COULD LOSE 20% CFM OR MORE.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.