Q&A Forums

Addtional Whip Hose? Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Ed Phillips
Posted: Apr 11, 2008 10:00 PM
Addtional Whip Hose?
Has anyone ever added an additional 10' Whip Hose to make it easier to handle the hose on a ladder etc?

I have a Graco E-30 with 310' of Hose that extra 10' of really flexible hose would be nice I can't imagine you would lose much heat with it.

We just started spraying foam last week and have sprayed 8 sets so far of .5 and 1 Lb, Just looking for better ideas.

Thanks
Ed
Tim Trott
Posted: Apr 12, 2008 04:33 AM
My foam supplier provided me with 4 10'sections of 1/4" stainless flex hose.(2 for A & B, one air, one spare)The shut offs are down at the end of the heated hose. I connected the flex lines from the shut offs to the gun (but not before putting 8' of rubber pipe insulation and hose shield over them.) The set up provides enough flexibility to strap the end of the heated hose to the side of pipe staging when spraying ceilings and work back and forth without having to handle a hot, bulky hose hoisted over your shoulder or whatever. It also sits undisturbed on the floor while spraying walls. There is a makeshift rubber bungee handle fastened at the shutoffs with zip ties for easier transportation and less stress on the flex lines while en route in and out of the house. It works for us.
Lane Hogstad
Posted: Apr 12, 2008 11:45 AM
Hi Ed looks like things are going well. Glad to see it. Lane
Ed Phillips
Posted: Apr 12, 2008 05:27 PM
Hey Lane,

Going great, First job was a house over 8000 Sq Ft took 6 Sets of .5lb, Going back to do the Ceiling next week after Sheetrock. Picked up another in the same neighborhood thats 6500 SqFt finishing it today.

We have a 18,000 Sq Ft house with a pool in the basement that it looks like we will do with 2Lb and a 7500 sq ft for the same builder.

Several more in the estimate stage I think we will be able to pick them up.

We haven't had time to catch our breath since starting.

We are learning a lot by trial and error and asking questions here.

P.S. The guys love the Saw! I should be buying another one soon.

Ed
Ed Phillips
Posted: May 07, 2008 04:46 AM
Just a quick Update, I had a 15' set of hoses made up out of 1/4" 3000 Psi Hose. Wrapped all 3 Lines in 3 sections of 1-1/4" Foam AC Line Foam Insulation then wrapped it all up tightly with 2" Rubber tape connected it between the 10' whip hose and the gun. Its very flexible and the Guys love it,
It really helps out when spraying Underside of roof decks and Ladder / Scaffold work its much more flexible and now the gun is 20' from the Temp sensor block that was always swinging between the Hose man and the Gun Man.

We Still have a lot to learn but we are pretty well spraying foam every day and the calls just keep coming.

Ed Phillips
PhillipsFoamInsulation.com
Rob Granger
Posted: May 07, 2008 10:18 PM
Ed,
I know there are several types of 3000 psi hose out there. Can you tell us what kind of hose in more detail.
Doug Commette
Posted: May 07, 2008 10:23 PM
Ed:
These are some nice big jobs. We would love to see some pictures. If you have any you want to share - please post a free job profile in our announcements area here: https://sprayfoammagazine.com/anps/anentry2.cfm

Thanks - Doug
Ed Phillips
Posted: May 07, 2008 10:26 PM
I will check the Brand of the hose tomorrow and let you know.

I have lots of photos I will upload some very soon.

We sprayed a house yesterday for Simmons Homes they will be on Extreme Home Makeover on may 18th they have done 2 Extreme Makeover jobs the one on the 18th is in Louisiana it is a church they built. ( It had foam I think but I don't know who sprayed it. )

They Build hundreds of homes each year in our area
and are looking to go green. The house we sprayed yesterday we did the entire envelope ( Walls & Underside Roof deck ) They are going to have a blower door test and full Energy star rating done on it. I really hope to stay in good with them.

We are spraying mostly Urethane Soy Systems .5 lb foam.

I drove by today and the Crew that does their Fiberglass work was in the house we sprayed really checking out the foam like they had never seen anything like it! They were rubbing the walls and picking up scraps and really checking it out.

Ed
Gordon Howard
Posted: May 08, 2008 01:25 AM
What is everyone getting for there installs lately? I am shooting for 5.25/ft2
2lb foam 2.5 inch thick.
Rob Granger
Posted: May 08, 2008 06:13 PM
Are you talking $ 2.10 a board foot. Tell me where heaven is I want to move there!!!!!
Gordon Howard
Posted: May 09, 2008 09:41 PM
Yes, I am talking 2.10 a board foot. I live in the base of an old magic oak tree and belong to a community of tiny forest imps.

What are you getting per BOARD foot.

I stopped using that term after five years of trying to explain (to house wives who were self-contracting their own homes with their husbands) what it meant.

I am getting that in Alberta, Canada. I am a dual citizen. I spray foam in Canada and Coatings in the midwest usa.

Ar eyou getting 1.70? or something like that? You must have more competition.
Rob Granger
Posted: May 10, 2008 02:21 AM
I live in Western New York State and $ 1.00 is about the going rate.
Robert Webster
Posted: May 10, 2008 05:54 PM
On average We get $1.10 1st inch .90 for each inch after (cc)
Ed Phillips
Posted: May 19, 2008 10:05 PM
Sorry for the delay on reporting the type of hose I used.

It is:
Aeroquip Match Mate Plus
GH781-4
1/4" 5750 PSI

I bundled the 2 High Pressure Hoses and the 1/4" Airline together inside 1-1/4" HVAC Line Insulation
then wrapped with a couple of layers of 2" rubber tape it's really flexible and the Hose man and gun man like it a lot.

I did a 15' extension added to my existing 10' Whip. No problem with heat loss.

Ed
SprayFoamSupply.com
Posted: May 19, 2008 10:59 PM
Ed,

Make sure that when you get started in the morning or after an extended brake that you do not spray the cold material into the walls. Spray into a box or bag until the hot material makes its way through the hoses and you get a good pattern. The colder material will not mix properly and could shrink down the road. Also, make sure that you put the bag of foam outside so that it doesn't combust!

George
Ed Phillips
Posted: May 19, 2008 11:46 PM
We always recirculate in the morning until the hose heat is around 120 and the A & B are 80 deg or so.

Then crank up the heat to 135 to 140 to start spraying then adjust temps from there. I think we always spray at 1150 PSI, Yields seem to be just about right and fairly consistent.

The the first shot out of the gun is already hot.
Not sure if its the best way but it is working for us.

Thanks for the advice
Ed

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.