Q&A Forums

A thank you and a quick question Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
Marc French
Posted: May 23, 2010 11:57 AM
A thank you and a quick question
Mason,

I wanted to thank you and Spayfoam.com for all the help you have given us. My non profit organization is new to spray foam and your group here helped us to find the right equipment supplier, the right products and the right training to confidently move ahead in the industry. Everyone on this site has helped (even foamdude lol)in some way or another. To start a site like this is to know you will be ushering in a lot of newbies to the biz and that takes a lot of guts and desire to support the industry as a whole.

My question is that code does not limit the types of ducts I can spray ie metal, sheetrock returns etc. I run into a lot of old ducts made of fiberboard etc. that we would like to spray. The question pointed out by my fellow newbs is weather or not the interior of the duct is considered in the living area and if the fiberboard is a adequate separator/barrier. Our area operates from IRC 2009 and these situations are all residential. Any advice would be appreciated.
mason
Posted: May 24, 2010 08:57 AM
That is a good question. I will need to research the current codes for the answer. I am on the road the next few days and away from my code books. But, I seem to recall that the ducts themselves are supposed to be fire resistant and comply with the 25/50 rule (flame spread and smoke developed rating)
jimcoler

I have over 10 years of experience specifying and installing open and closed cell spray foam. I've sold my business but I'm still selling for the new owners and consulting on large and custom specific jobs. 

I've expanded my knowledge into t

Posted: May 25, 2010 09:38 AM
Mason is right! The foam insulation would need to meet FS-25/ SD-50 for all interior duct applications. This is like having a return air plenum above a drop ceiling. Everything above this drop ceiling in considered as part of the "Duct" and needs to meet the FS-25/SD-50 requirement. Typically, we use an intumescent paint that is also a thermal barrier when applied at the right thickness called Paint to Protect DC 315. It's a great product which seems to be a great fit for the industry.
Hope this helps and good question.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.