Q&A Forums

1970's foam Post New Topic | Post Reply

Author Comments
andy buff
Posted: Nov 17, 2009 01:27 PM
1970's foam
Mason,looked at an attic today that was foamed in the 70's its cracked very brittle turns to powder when touched.this foam was injected into the walls as well? I think trying to encapsulate it will make a bigger mess because it so powder like? how to remove/dispose. thanks skinny
mason
Posted: Nov 18, 2009 06:32 AM
It sounds like urea formaldehyde foam. Is it white in color? The foam itself is not toxic, so you should be able to scrap it off, bag it and take it to a landfill. You would have to take the drywall off the wall to take it out of the wall.

Do not try to spray over it. The dry brittle foam will not make a suitable substrate to spray foam to.
andy buff
Posted: Nov 18, 2009 08:33 AM
Thanks mason. The foam is a yellowish/cream color?and turns to powder just looking at it.This couple was told the same things that i use to sell foam but i'm alittle spooked to see what has happened over 30 years? is this what happens over time and what will our new foams do or hold up? thanks
Gerry Wagoner
Posted: Nov 20, 2009 08:36 AM
The old urea foam had dimensional weaknesses,as well as health questions. Polyurethane foam is a proven material, free from the shortcomings of urea foam.
andy buff
Posted: Nov 20, 2009 08:58 AM
Thanks
mason
Posted: Nov 20, 2009 02:37 PM
If it is a polyurethane foam and has turned to powder it was not installed correctly (off ratio, mixed poorly etc.) or it has been exposed to UV.

I have been to projects over 40 years old where the foam is as good as the day it was sprayed.

You need to login to reply to this topic. Please click here to login.